Extenuating Circumstances

During your time at University you might experience personal circumstances such as illness or bereavement, which may disrupt your ability to study or affect your performance in an assessment or an examination. These are referred to as 'extenuating circumstances' and should be reported to your Academic School as soon as they arise and before the School deadline.

Where extenuating circumstances are accepted there are a range of remedies that can be offered, such as an extention for submission of coursework, an additional attempt at an examination without being capped at the pass mark, or the discounting of affected marks from your overall degree classification.

What are extenuating circumstances?

The University defines extenuating circumstances as those that are:

  • severe and exceptional; and
  • unforeseen or unavoidable; and
  • close in time to the Assessment, or where the student can demonstrate that the circumstances continued to have an impact on their academic performance in the Assessment.

Such circumstances may be considered to have had an adverse impact on the student's academic performance in Assessment and/or have prevented a student from submitting a Coursework Assessment and/or attending a scheduled Assessment.

I need time away from University

It may be possible to apply for between two weeks and twelve months away from University through an Interruption of Study. We would recommend asking for advice before making an application to interrupt your study as there can be significant impacts on your study, finances and personal life.

The permitted grounds for taking an interruption are:

  • Ill health
  • Compassionate grounds
  • Financial hardship due to a change in circumstances beyond your control
  • Exceptional professional commitments for those studying a part time course
  • Maternity leave
  • Parental leave
  • Academic grounds
  • Study abroad
  • Work experience relevant to your programme of study
  • Sabbatical office

You will need to submit your application via Student Support, explaining your grounds and attaching all relevant evidence. It is strongly advised that you speak to your Personal Tutor before submitting your application. We also recommend that you contact SU Advice to discuss the possible implications on your student finance and return to your programme.

You cannot apply for an interruption during a formal assessment period. If you are going to miss any formal assessments you will instead need to submit an extenuating circumstances form with evidence. Please speak to SU Advice for more information.

Making a complaint

There may be circumstance where you feel that you may need to make a complaint about an issue you may be having whilst studying at the university.

In the first instance, we advise that you discuss this with the SU Advice service to establish what the the appropriate steps to take next. We are also independant from the university and are able to represent and support you if needed.


I want to leave my current tenancy agreement, can I do this?

For most types of tenancy agreements it is very difficult to leave. Quite often the only way of doing this is if you find a replacement tenant for yourself if you are in a joint tenancy.

It is always a good idea to speak to your letting agent or landlord as there may be a break clause in your contract with them. Failing this you may have a landlord who is willing to let you out of the contract. 

We would also advise that you look to advertise your room on other platforms too such as Gumtree and Spareroom. These platforms may reach a larger audience and increase your chance of finding a replacement sooner.

Something to be aware of is that often when it comes to amending a housing contract, there is a fee involved. Again this should be noted on your contract and if not, you should ask your letting agent or landlord how much this will be. Further to this, you may also wish to consider what will be happening with your share of the deposit.

My Landlord/ Letting Agent has not returned my deposit

Landlords/agents withholding deposits from students is very common. Your landlord/agent should have protected your deposit in one of three tenancy deposit protection (TDP) schemes.

If you have given your landlord/agent reasonable opportunity to return your deposit but they have chosen not to or have become unresponsive, you are best approaching your TDP scheme directly and requesting the deposit be returned through them. Most TDP schemes will give you three months from the end of your tenancy agreement to request the return of your deposit.

If you have confirmed that your landlord/agent has not protected your deposit in one of the three schemes then you can file for court proceedings against the landlord/agent directly and will almost certainly win.

If you landlord/agent has protected the deposit in a scheme, all you need to do is work out which one it is and follow the processes and procedures on their website to secure the return of your deposit.

The process will give the landlord/agent the opportunity to dispute the deposit return and then the process will require you to provide a written submission to dispute the landlord/agent deductions.

Mental Health

Who can I speak to about mental health issues?

There are a number of services available to students who feel they are suffering with mental health issues.

SU Advice is a common first point of call, as is Student Support. The university also offer a Counselling Service, and the Mental Health and Wellbeing Team is opening shortly

You can book an appointment with Matt Nunnerley (Student Adviser) at https://www.ltsu.co.uk/advice/bookappointment/

Seeing your GP about any concerns around your mental health is usually the effective method of accessing specialist mental health support in Leeds.


If you are experiencing personal, emotional or psychological issues which are impacting on your mental health, you may wish to access the universities counselling and wellbeing services.

Some of the most common things that students go to counsellors to address are:

  • academic problems, including loss of motivation
  • anxiety
  • bereavement
  • depression
  • difficulties with sexuality
  • eating disorders
  • loneliness, or homesickness
  • low, or lost, self- confidence
  • sexual problems
  • stress.

If you wish to speak to a counselor, you should speak to Student Support.


This is a student-led, confidential listening service which offers emotional supper and information for students in Leeds.

Contact: 0113 3801285.

The line is available 8pm-8am.


This service is a 24 hour telephone line for people experiencing immediate distress and trained operators are available to talk to.

Contact: 0113 2456789.

Where can I find information on sexual health?

The Student's Union have a full sexual health service. We provide:

  • A wide variety of condoms and lube.
  • STI testing kits (which can be anonymous).
  • Dental dams.
  • Pregnancy testing kits (with immediate results)

We are a registered 3 in 1 centre, and can issue you with a CCard that enables you to access all sexual health clinics in Leeds for free.

Yorkshire MESMAC provide counselling, consultation, condoms and lubricant, HIV testing and many more services in Leeds and surrounding Yorkshire areas. The clinic is run for LGBT+/Trans/Non-binary people but the website is open to all.

Leeds Sexual Health lists all of the free sexual health services available in Leeds.

The Leeds Centre for Sexual Health/GUM (NHS Service)
– Available to all ages
Specialises in providing sexual health services, including the investigation and treatment of all sexually transmitted infections, including HIV/AIDS. Provides sexual health advice, information, education and counselling available. Confidential service.
The Centre for Sexual Health, Merrion Centre -1st Floor, 50 Merrion Way, Leeds, LS2 8NG
Tel: 0113 392 0333

Marie Stopes International Leeds Centre
Contraception, emergency contraception, pregnancy testing, abortion, vasectomy, Chlamydia testing, Well Woman screening, Well Man screening, Company Health screening, cervical cancer vaccination
45 Barrack Road, Leeds, LS7 4AB
24 hour helpline: 0845 300 8090
Email: services@mariestopes.org.uk

British Pregnancy Advisory Service
Abortion care, emergency contraception, free pregnancy testing and vasectomy services.
3rd Floor, 7 Eastgate, Leeds, LS2 7LY
Tel: 0345 730 4030 (24 hours)
You can also pick up free condoms and find information on local services and CASH Clinics (Contraception and Sexual Health Clinics) and from the Leeds Beckett Students' Union Advice Service on the first floor of the Student Union Building, Civic Quarter.

Where can I get emergency contraception?

You can take emergency contraception up to 72 hours after unprotected sex.

If you need emergency contraception and are under 25 you can get this for free from some pharmacies in Leeds. If you are over 25 and go to a pharmacy for emergency contraception you may have to pay for it.

However, anyone can obtain free emergency contraception from their GP or from their local CASH Clinic.

Office Opening Times: Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm
Registered Office: Leeds Trinity Students' Union, Brownberrie Lane, Horsforth, Leeds, LS18 5HD
Registered Charity Number: 1184182

Powered by MSL