One of the key requirements of our elections are for them to be conducted fairly. To do this we have a Returning Officer which is Peter Robertson, the CEO of NUS and a Deputy Returning Officer which is Matt Webber the General Manager at LTSU. Any questions or concerns regarding the conduct of the elections should first be put to Matt at LTSUElections@leedstrinity.ac.uk
Our full Candidate Conduct Policy is below which all candidates and their supproters should familiarise themselves with.
Candidate Conduct Policy
To ensure free and fair elections the following rules should be adhered to. Failure to do so may result in disqualification from the election.
1. All President, Vice-President and Student Council Candidates must attend the Candidates Briefing or submit apologies to LTSUElections@leedstrinity.ac.uk
2. Candidates may not campaign until after the final Candidates Briefing has taken place. This means no flyers, posters, wearable items associated to a candidate’s campaign or other means of written publicity can be displayed before this time. This also extends to Facebook pages for your campaign and any other similar use of alternative social media channels. Please note that conversations are not included in this definition of campaigning and therefore is permitted.
3. Candidates must take reasonable steps to ensure that their supporter’s actions comply with the campaign rules at all times and must be able to demonstrate this in the event of a complaint against them.
4. Candidates may only alter, move or remove their own campaign materials.
5. Campaigners may only use mailing lists where lawful to do so. In most cases this will require the consent of the members on the list to use their details for election purposes.
6. Campaigners must allow voters to cast their ballot freely and must not communicate with voters in any way once they have begun to complete their ballot.
7. Students’ Union student staff are not allowed to campaign for themselves or on behalf of any candidate whilst working for the Students’ Union or wearing a Students’ Union uniform.
8. President and Vice-President candidates must submit apologies to LTSUElections@leedstrinity.ac.uk with a reason deemed reasonable by the Returning Officer if they are unable to attend the Candidate Question Time.
9. The Union will not endorse a candidate and candidates must not state in election publicty that their policies have been endorsed by the Union or make reference to individual members of staff. Union staff will not endorse candidates. Sabbatical Officers are not considered as Union Staff. Budget & Expenses
10. Candidates in all elections may spend no more than £20 of their own money on campaigning materials. President, Vice-President and Student Council candidates may spend a further £20 that may be reimbursed from the Union. All candidates for all roles are expected to keep receipts. The Union will pay 50% of your campaign costs up to the limit outlined to President, Vice-President and Student Council candidates.
11. President, Vice-President and Student Council candidates must provide receipts for their expenses no later than one hour after the close of voting.
12. Candidates should ask for a nominal value for any items used in campaigning prior to use that they already own from the Deputy Returning Officer.
13. If you are unsure of whether something breaks the rules ask beforehand to LTSUElections@leedstrinity.ac.uk
14. Candidates should conduct themselves in a way that is respectful of other candidates.
15. Candidates are not allowed to affix posters to the University reception or Atrium painted walls.
16. The LTSU logo and Leeds Trinity University logo are not to be used in your campaigning publicity.
These rules should be read in conjunction with Bye Law 2 Elections and Referenda which can be found here.