Each year your elected Officers share their goals for the academic year with Student Council, Trustees and you (as members). See what your President is doing throughout the year. Check-in on our website news for the latest updates.
Theme 1: Engagement & communication
Essential Goal 1.1– Support the Student Council to become role models and leaders for their voters.
- Improve the support Elected council members provide members.
- Support student part-time officers to create communities
- Provide better visibility for minority groups in predominantly white and female environments
Essential Goal 1.2 – Use Instagram to regularly update student members
- Aim to break down complicated boards and give a brief explanation of the topics spoken about
- Keep students up to date with current and upcoming events and campaigns
Theme 2: Cutting Student Costs #ChelseyCutsCosts
Essential Goal 2.1 - Campaign to reduce travel costs to and from campus for members.
- Created a resource for cheapest vs most expensive mode of travel.
Essential Goal 2.2 - Campaign for better quality of living on campus
Desirable Goal 2.3 - Lift the veil on hidden course costs such as trips and resources.
- Collect data on how many courses run trips/days out or require students to travel for assessment work.
- Key courses provide a costed essential items list to each member.
Desirable Goal 2.4 - Diversify food on Campus for various dietary requirements
- Focus on groups which need to spend more money through dietary requirements
- Make ingredient information easily available so students know when to bring food from home/ alternative sources
Theme 3: Academic Experience
Essential Goal 3.1 - Simplify language and phrases used by the University in papers and meetings.
- Smoother transition into academic boards
- Introduction to policies and papers less intimidating
Essential Goal 3.2 - Enhance support received by students through going through academic appeals processes
Desirable Goal 3.3 - Raise the awareness of local volunteer opportunities via my own social media
- Course-related experience.
- Added value experience.
Essential Goal 3.4 - Support course reps to improve student voice
- Hold Course rep conferences for Training, feedback & awareness
- Incentives (better engagement)
- Have a higher number of course rep academic transcripts approved
- Update transcript Criteria post Covid
Essential Goal 3.5 - Ensure student voice regarding the quality and quantity of E-book provision is addressed
- Follow through with student voice vote on ‘Student Say’
- Cut the cost of academic texts by making them accessible for all students through the library search tool.
- Focus on key/essential books and journals which are presented to students on reading lists
Theme 4: Inclusivity (Academic/Learning Environment)
Essential Goal 4.1 - Create a sense of belonging and strengthen communities
Desirable Goal 4.2 - Pronouns in University emails. UCAS, Uni forms
Theme 5: BAME Student Voice
Essential Goal 5.1 - Improve BAME representation and experience on campus
- Work alongside the University on the REC (Race Equality Charter)
- Decolonise the curriculum (Increase the number of texts used in Lectures & reading lists by people of colour)
- Look Into current grants available for refugees (Student Say)