Your current President is Zoha Shah and Vice President is Chris Dow.
The President leads on academic matters working closely with staff on the Course Reps and School Reps system and Student-Led Staff Awards to support students. They are also the spokesperson of the Union both with the University and with anyone external. Additionally, they represent the Union to the National Union of Students (NUS). They also chair the Board of Trustees in the Union, Student Council, Student Executive Committee, line manages the General Manager and is a governor on the University Board.
The President is the figurehead of the Union. You will be the key representative to the University and to external organisations. You chair the Union Trustee Board and lead academic matters including the Course Rep system which has approximately 150 Course Reps positions.
- To be the spokesperson of the Union both in discussions with the University and external organisations (with the exceptions of BUCS), including the media.
- To represent the Union within the National Union of Students, including, but not exclusive to, representing the Union at NUS Conference and any emergency National Conferences.
- To ensure that adequate arrangements are in place for the academic representation of students through a system of representatives across the provision of the University.
- To Chair the Board of Trustees.
- To sit on the Student Council.
- To sit on the Student Executive Committee.
- To Chair the Annual General Meeting and any other General Meetings.
- To be the student representative on the University’s Board of Governors.
- To sit on the University’s Academic Board and other senior institutional committees to ensure the effective representation of students.
- To ensure that all of the positions on the University’s committees that are allocated to students are filled.
- To line manage the Union’s General Manager.
- To promote the Union’s democratic structures and ensure that students.
As Chair of the Trustee Board, you are one of up to nine trustees comprised of the two sabbatical officers, three student trustees and four external trustees who are experts in professional fields that benefit the organisation. The Trustees set the strategy, governance and finances of the organisation. All President candidates will be asked to sign a declaration form that confirms they are able to be a Trustee of the organisation.
To nominate yourself for President go here from the 2nd of December 2019.