What is the Student Council?
Student Council meets once a month, to discuss all proposed policies and anything else that falls under their remit! Non-councilors can come along and attend as non-voting members.
What is policy?
Once 'Student Say' ideas have been agreed by the council they will vote to make it happen. Suggest your idea here and get it debated by the council.
What is the new policy called?
1. Sanitary items are necessary for health and hygiene
2. Various pieces of research have estimated the average cost per year of having a period is anything from £128 - £492 1 2 3 depending on a variety of factors
3. There are currently no provisions in place on campus to support students with the costs of sanitary products
4. There are not currently sanitary bins available in every toilet on campus
5. There are no machines in bathrooms on campus, meaning that someone has to leave the bathroom and go outside to purchase sanitary products if they are needed at short notice
6. Across the country, a variety of SU’s have found different way to reduce or remove the cost of sanitary products on campus (Sussex, Sunderland, Leeds, Wrexham Glyndr, Bristol, UEA, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Lancaster, Leicester, Newcastle, Manchester, St. Andrews, Stirling, Sussex + more.)
1. No-one should incur a financial penalty for having a period - The cost of sanitary products is an unfair burden
2. The costs of a period can hit students particularly hard as they are often struggling to make ends meet. This problem is even more severe for working-class students
3. Sanitary products should be as a principle free.
4. The costs may also vary from person to person, dependent on a variety of factors. Cheap and/or free sanitary products can at least alleviate some of this burden
1. To lobby the university to have a bin placed in every toilet cubicle on campus
2. To lobby the university and explore the possibility of having a machine or a dispenser in every bathroom on campus
3. To sell sanitary products in the SU shop at the lowest possible price which is not loss-making
4. To mandate the proposer of the motion to join the President at relevant lobbying meetings with the university
Want your idea discussed and actioned by the student council? Submit idea now
Want to be on the student council? Find out more!