Welcome to your new Student Council!
Today marks the official handover date of Student Council, where the team from 2020-21 end their roles, and the new officers take up their positions. Before we say hello to your new Council, let's have a reminder of some of the achievements from the past year of Student Council (that's Muhammad, Vinay, Rachel, Huba, Briony, Joseph, Beth, Jasmine, Chelsey, Laura, Olivia, Chris, Niamh, Rebecca, and Rach!)
What did Student Council get up to in 2020-21?
- Introduced Gender Neutral Bathrooms across the LTU campus
- Encourage SU and LTU staff to introduce pronouns into their email signatures
- Acquired pronoun badges for SU staff
- Lobbied the University to update Heritage Halls
- Introduced the sale of menstrual cups into the SU Shop
- Lobbied the University to include free sanitary products in toilets across campus
- Campaigned for more washing machines to be installed on campus (to be introduced in Trinity Close over Summer)
- Ensured that online lectures were captioned
- Lobbied the University and the SU to sign up to the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower Scheme - both organisations are implementing training for staff
- Banned the SU from giving out single-use plastic giveaways and freebies
- Approved a policy to introduce a zero-waste section to the SU Shop
- Followed up student concerns about placements
- Planned events for Black History Month, LGBTQ+ History Month, Interfaith Week, Cerebral Palsy Day, Disability History Month, Pride Month and more
- Approved amendments to Byelaws
- Responded to student concerns around Covid throughout the year, including rent rebates, concerns with results and support with mental health
- Improved accessibility on campus with the LTU Management Team
- ...and loads more!
We'd like to say a massive thank you for all the fantastic work that your Council have undertaken this year. Despite never having an in-person meeting, they've managed to make lasting change in a hugely challenging year. They've provided invaluable support to the students they represent and have shown how dedicated they are to making life better for students at LTU.
But what's next for Student Council?
We're so excited to see what Student Council will do over the next year. You can see all your 2021-22 officers here.
Your new Council will receive training in a few weeks time, over the 19th and 20th July. If you'd like to get in contact with any of them before then, please email firstname.lastname@example.org